Countries Dao Traditional Textiles Tribes Vietnam

Tamay’s Textile Workshops, Ta Phin Village, Sapa, Vietnam.

Textile workshop sapa vietnam

Are you captivated by the stunning traditional dress of the Red Dao hill tribe people? Would you like to learn more about their symbolic motifs, complex embroidery and elaborate embellishment? Come and immerse yourself in a one on one workshop with Tamay and friends. Nestled high in the hills of Ta Phin village, just 20 minutes drive from Sa Pa town.


Tamay Red Dao Ta Phin Sapa Vietnam

Tamay sewing her new coat for the lunar new year.

During you workshop you will…

  • Hear about the significance of textile skills in Red Dao culture today.

  • Discover the meaning behind the symbolic motifs used in the elaborate stitches.

  • Get the opportunity to study various items of the Red Dao traditional dress up close, such as; the coat, trousers, jewelry and children’s hats.

  • Participate in either a hand embroidery, natural dyeing or embellishment workshop with Tamay by your side helping you every step of the way.


Who is this textile workshop for?

This amazing workshop is suitable for anyone interested in fashion, textiles and ethnic culture.  It will give you real insight and appreciation into the amount of creativity and skills required to maintain this invaluable aspect of Red Dao culture.

How to Book

Prices start at 800.000 VND per person, per day (5 hours), including all materials and lunch. To book your individual or group textile workshop email Donna@Hauteculturefashion.com with the subject title “Tamay’s Textile Workshops“. Overnight homestay accommodation is also available for 300.000VND upon request.

About your Teacher Tamay

Tamay, 45, and mother of 3, is an extremely talented Red Dao artisan specialising in traditional hand embroidery. She is a former local tour guide, and the designer/ maker of Red Dao garments for the ethical ethnic fashion brand Tamay & Me.  Tamay speaks fluent Dao, Vietnamese and near perfect English.


Tamay Textile workshop ta phin sapa vietnam embroidery

Tamay and her sister in law Sanmay are ready to share their textile traditions with you.


Why is Haute Culture promoting this?

As part of our commitment to invest 50% of Haute Culture Textile Tour profits in to projects with our artisans, Haute Culture is proud to support, invest and empower our artisan Tamay to sell her skills independently by helping her to promote these workshops online and locally with flyers. 30% of the sale from this booking will also be reinvested into buying new equipment and resources to help Tamay develop her workshops through out the year. The other 70% is paid directly to Tamay.


tamays red dao textile workshops sapa vietanm

You Might Also Like

%d bloggers like this: